No-one is a DIY expert, and it can be a minefield to improve your home and garden if you don’t have all the know-how. Even when you’ve found a good tradesman, it’s important that you understand the key elements and costs of the job, to avoid being charged extra for labor or materials. To help on your home improvement journey, here’s our guides for understanding the basics of tough jobs around your home and garden.
- Block Paving Cost in 2020
- The Cost of a Gravel Driveway in 2020
- Concrete Driveway Cost (Full 2020 Guide)
- Driveway Sealing Cost (2020-2021 Guide)
- New Kitchen Cost
- Basement Conversion Cost
- Wood Burning Stove Installation Cost
- Secondary Glazing Cost
- How Much Does uPVC Double Glazing Cost
- Roof Replacement Cost
- Soundproofing Cost in 2020
- How Much Rendering Costs in 2020
- Front Door Porch Prices in 2020
- Replacement Glass Conservatory Roof Cost
- Cost of a Conservatory with Full Guide
- Lean-to Conservatory Cost (2020)
- Garage Conversion Cost Guide
- Cost to Build a Garage in 2020
- Average Tv Aerial Installation Costs
- Cost of Air Conditioning in 2020
- Stair Lift Cost for 2020
- How Much Will an Orangery Cost in 2020
- How Much to Repoint a Wall
- Cost of a New Staircase in 2020
- Cost of Hardwood Windows in 2020
- Costs Involved in Flat Roof Replacement
- Basement Extension Cost Ranges
- What Chimney Removal Costs in 2020
- What Does Triple Glazing Cost in 2020?
- How Much Do Bifold Doors Cost?
- Understanding Prices of Concrete
- How much will a new boiler cost?
- Costs of Landscape Gardening
- Secondary Glazing Costs for 2020
- What Roof Repair Will Cost You in 2020
- How Much do New Windows Cost?
- Roof Cleaning Cost & Guide
- Cost of Replacing Kitchen Cupboard Doors
- The True Cost to Replace Gutters, Fascias, and Soffits
- Cost of Soundproofing Floors (2020 Guide)
- The Price to Install a New Kitchen Sink
- Window Replacement Cost (Ultimate 2020 Guide)
- Roof Ridge Tiles Cost in 2020 (Full Guide)
- The Cost of UPVC Cladding Per Square Metre
- Roof Cleaning and Coating Cost in 2020
Should I try DIY?
DIY is a great way to compete small jobs, with a few tools, a bit of time and trial and error, you’ll be able to make small improvements to your home and garden. For example, you could paint a room, trim the hedge or build some shelves. But when it comes to larger building work, painting and decorating your hallway or re-tiling your bathroom, you really need someone who knows what they’re doing and can get the job done well – the first time around!
This is where Tradesman are brilliant, they often specialize in a few areas, like plastering or electrics, and have got years of training and experience under their belt. Using Quote Check is the best way to find a reliable and experienced tradesman to complete your home improvement.
How much will the job cost?
Costs of home improvement can vary depending on a few key factors, including your location and the condition of your home and garden. For example, if you’re living in a city and want to re-do your kitchen in your 30 year old home, you might find excellent prices as lots of tradesman will be in the local area, and it could be quite a straight forward job. Compare this to a unique Victorian home in a rural area, and the quotes may look quite different!
Prices can also differ across the trades, as some are more specialized, in demand or experienced than others, or may require particular equipment, like scaffolding. This is one of the reasons why we set up Quote Check, to give you a range of prices and find the one most suited to you.
How long will the job take?
Similarly to cost, this can depend on the size of the job and condition of your home and garden. It can also be impacted by the materials, as you may need the new tiled floor to set properly, or the plastering to dry out. This can mean additional days are added to your project.
Some tradesman will work on their own, but some will have a small company with a partner or apprentice, which can speed up the job. You’ll also need to consider their schedule, as they may be booked up for a few months, or able to squeeze in a small job here and there.
Do I need to purchase materials?
Materials can be sourced in two main ways, either through the tradesman or you can purchase directly from a DIY shop. It’s worth speaking to your tradesman directly, as they may be able to get discounted rates on parts or materials needed to complete the job. On the other hand, you may have specifically chosen the tiles, cupboard doors, plants or paint for your home and garden, and can purchase them ready for the job to start. Consider the costs of each option, especially if you are on a budget.
Can I trust my chosen tradesman?
Once you’ve accepted an online quote through Quote Check, it’s a good idea to call the tradesman and talk in more detail about the job. Arrange a time when they can visit your home to visually assess the work required and agree on when it will be completed. Some people feel comfortable giving their workman a key or access to the garden, whilst others will want to be in the home when the work is taking place. Our network is built on trustworthy individuals who have experience and testimonials.
How do I know I’m getting a fair price?
Before using Quote Check, you might not know if you’re getting a fair price. That’s why we’ve build a network of tradesman across the UK, to give you access to a wide range of quotes. You can compare labor and material costs to ensure that you are getting fair price, and your home improvement will be completed with a high quality.